I remembered the flash in my eyes, the sickening feeling as I lost my spot and my balance deserted me. My foot slipping out from under me, the satin giving me no purchase. The adrenaline rush and the pit in my stomach as I got ready to hit the ground. The crunch of my ankle as it twisted awkwardly and my inadvertent gasp at the pain. Then I remembered rough hands around my waist pulling me into a warm body and tense arms lifting me off my feet. Not letting me fall. I remembered the worry in his eyes as he set me down backstage. Cool hands feeling for damage. The anger in his voice and in his face as he stormed out after the “fucking idiot with the bloody camera”. I remembered his fingers on his face and his sincere voice, “I will always catch you.”
Shuddering I remembered jealous eyes, raised voices, different arms around me taking me back to a place I had once called home. The love that had turned sour, the fear and the helplessness. The self loathing, my weakness, the pain. The sudden feeling of loss and then the freedom. The days of doing nothing, of sitting trying to find a way to numb the pain, the crushing emptiness. The sinking realisation that everything had been based on a lie.
God, I was a mess and now, like never before, I needed someone to catch me. I knew who I wanted but I felt so foolish and ashamed to go to him. I had never appreciated him when he had been there for me and in turning away from him I had let myself be caught up in a situation that had nearly broken me. All I could hope was that he would forgive me. I had nowhere else to go so I had to least try. There was nothing else I could do.
And so, I found myself, at 3am on the
doorstep of someone I hadn't spoken to in two months. It took me a
full hour to knock, I was that scared to swallow my pride and ask for
help. Tired and freezing with little dots flashing across my vision I
lay against the door frame, silently begging him to be in. As he
opened the door his eyes flashed wide in surprise and he opened his
mouth to say something which I never heard. Relief washed through me
and a part of me knew that I was safe. The adrenaline and fear that
had kept me going for the past week drained out of me, the lack of
sleep caught up with me, my legs turned to lead and I blacked out,
slumping forward onto him.
I came to a lot later with a pounding
headache, confused and groggy, in someone else's bed. It took a while
for the events of the previous night to come back to me. Luke staring
at me in the darkness, shock written across his face. I vaguely
remembered his arms around me, carrying me in and the comforting
familiarity of his smell and feel. I wasn't regretting my decision
yet. Sitting up I had to wait for my head to stop spinning before I
could drag myself into a standing position. As I stood I was suddenly
awkwardly aware that all I was wearing was my underwear. Then I
remembered the state of the clothes that I had been in last night and
appreciated their removal. The guy had seen me in a lot less before
in the wings anyway.
The sight that greets me in the
mirror was rather grim. I have gone way past the china doll
complexion to something more corpse-like. This is nicely complimented
by the vivid purple circles around my eyes and the various rainbow
coloured bruises that dot my limbs. I had never been the slimmest
dancer but now I have gone far past elegant and lean to gaunt. I can
almost count my ribs and I have much too much hip bone, I really need
to do something about that. My hair is disgusting and I smell of
alcohol and cigarette smoke. Not attractive. Poking my head through a
door in the corner of the bedroom I find a bathroom with clean towels
and a proper shower. After half an hour under scalding water I
emerge, smelling of Old Spice shampoo and feeling almost clean. I
gulp a few mouthfuls of water from the tap and swig some mouthwash.
Pushing the damp hair out of my face I stare into my unfamiliar eyes.
Turning away I find one of his shirts and a hoodie I remember him
wearing on a seat. Pulling them on I find they fall to mid thigh,
which is at least better than underwear.
Feeling a little more human, I creep
down the hall, peering into empty rooms as I go. I'm not really sure
that I'm ready to talk but I can't just hide away, I need to explain
myself. I find him in the living room, a book on his lap, glasses
askew, fingers rubbing his temples. My chest tightens a little, I
have missed him so much. He hears me come into the room and, pushing
his hair out of his eyes, turns to look at me. His eyes run up and
down me, no doubt taking in the state I am in and I find myself
incredibly glad that I have the cover of the hoodie.
“Hey you,” he smiles slightly but
I can see the worry it hides.
“Hey...” My voice is quiet and
shaky, I feel incredibly exposed standing alone in the doorway.
He shifts a pile of papers from next
to him and I sit down nervously, legs tucked under me – a
fight-or-flight habit which I had never got out of. I have absolutely
no idea what to say to him, how to explain everything, how to tell
him why I came to him. He reaches out and takes my hands, looking
straight at me and I have to avert my eyes. It's strange how
uncomfortable I feel.
“Alice?” His voice is soft and
worried and brings back so many memories. A few weeks ago I had known
him better than myself. We had been able to communicate without
words, to feel the others emotions through their movements. We had
rehearsed in next to nothing, our hands had been all over each other,
we had been as one. Now I feel like a child next to him.
“Luke... I'm sorry Luke... I don't know what I'm doing here but I didn't have anywhere else to go.”
“It's okay A, I just want you to be
allright. I haven't seen you in months though. I was worried for you,
where did you go? What happened?” There is hurt in his voice, to
him I had simply walked away without looking back. He was right, a
part of me had. “Last night, when you... I didn't know what to
think A. God, I even looked for needle marks, I checked your wrists.
I shouldn't have had to do that A. What happened to you?”
Shivering, the scratch of a needle on
my skin came back to me. The pale metal against the blue of my veins,
the single drop of blood. I hadn't gone through with it. Thankfully
some sense of self-preservation had made me walk away. I had come
frighteningly close though.
“Shit... I know, Luke, I know...
I'm sorry.”
I tilt my chin up again and I see the
sadness and concern in his eyes. It is all too much. Something in me
breaks. I feel whatever it was that was holding me together crumble
and then I'm shattering into pieces. I can't breathe as the tears
come and the sobs choke me. His arms wrap around me and pull me into
his chest and I clutch at them like I'm drowning. That's what it
feels like. It's all I can do to gasp in the air as I cling to him.
Leaning against his chest I listen to the steady beat of his heart,
trying to let it ground me as everything that I haven't been letting
myself deal with consumes me. Luke doesn't push me away and just
keeps me close, gently running his hands through my hair. I can't
stop and as my wracking breaths continue, my hands still clutching at
his arms, he lifts me up like a child. Cradling me in his arms he
carries me back to the bedroom.
He places me down on the bed and
pulls the sheets over me, then, just as I am consumed with the fear
that he is going to leave me, he lies down beside me. He fits himself
around me, pulling me tight against him and for the first time in
weeks I feel safe. He doesn't say anything, he just holds me tight.
Eventually, I no longer feel like I'm being crushed from the inside
out and the crying stops. I am exhausted and empty but somehow feel
better. I can feel his chest moving against my back and I slow my
breathing to match. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale again. It is a reassuring
process and after a while I begin to feel normal again. I roll over
in his arms until we are face to face.
“You okay, A?”
I nod slowly, the catharsis of crying had helped.
I nod slowly, the catharsis of crying had helped.
“I didn't mean to make you cry A.
I'm sorry.” He brushes his fingers ever so lightly across my cheek
and a shiver runs down my spine. “I need you to talk to me though,
A. I can't help you if you don't. I want to help you. Please, A. Let
me help you?”
He was asking me to let him help me.
Here was the man who had always been there for me. Who had never
asked anything in return. Who had watched me with another man without
ever complaining. Who I had walked away from. Whose house I had
turned up at in the middle of the night, completely out of the blue.
Without me even asking for it, he was offering his help. I had been
such a fool before.
“It's not your fault Luke. And
thank you... I didn't know who else to go to...” I looked away for
a minute as I remembered the loneliness and the desperation of the
night before. “You once told me that you would always catch me. I
was falling and I hoped that you would be able to forgive me enough
to stay true to your word.”
“I meant what I said A. I will
always be there for you.” I knew that despite everything he meant
every word. It was like someone had lifted a huge weight off of my
shoulders, but also like being punched in the stomach for being so
stupid before.
“Luke...” I was suddenly very aware of how close he was to me and when I looked into his eyes I wanted to fall into their green depths. More than anything I wanted to feel something other than the emptiness eating away inside me. Gently I lifted my fingers up and brushed them across his lips. He tensed suddenly but didn't pull away.
“Luke...” I was suddenly very aware of how close he was to me and when I looked into his eyes I wanted to fall into their green depths. More than anything I wanted to feel something other than the emptiness eating away inside me. Gently I lifted my fingers up and brushed them across his lips. He tensed suddenly but didn't pull away.
“A?” There was confusion in his
voice but I could hear the desire there too.
I sit up and pull the covers off me,
slipping off the hoodie and the shirt. Then I lie back down against
him so that we are both under the sheets with only thin fabric of his
t-shirt between our bodies.
“If you let me, I'm going to do
something I should have done a long time ago,” I murmur as I lean
in to kiss him. As our lips meet I feel his body go rigid but he
doesn't pull away from me. I taste salt on my lips and I don't even
know whose tears they are anymore. I pull away to take his t-shirt
off of him and the he pushes me back onto the bed, his skin warm
against mine. I run my hands over his chest, down his arms, feeling a
body that I used to know like my own. His own hands slide across me,
cool and reassuring. His fingers play over my ribs, my hips,
accepting my flaws. Then he kisses the bruises on my skin, easing the
pain that each one represents, not asking any questions. This is not
the time for talking. As his kisses dance down my neck I feel alive
again, no longer empty inside.
At one point his teeth nip my
collarbone and I am struck as if slapped by memories of different,
rough hands and sharp teeth. Of humiliation and fear and hatred. Of
angry words and harsh blows. I find myself recoiling away as if
stung. Forgetting where I am and losing myself in the past.
“Alice?” His voices snaps me back
to reality and I remember who I'm with. The man who had never let me
down when I needed him. Who had never let me fall. Who had once
danced a whole week's worth of rehearsals without letting me touch
the ground because I was injured. Who always checked that I had got
home when it was late. His hands are gentle and his words are soft
and kind. I love him. I pull him back into me and the way our bodies
fit together just feels right.
No comments:
Post a Comment